Friday, November 7, 2014

Edgar Allan Poe Reflection Blog



Edgar Allan Poe Reflection


        Before doing research and learning about Edgar Allan Poe, I didn't really know much. I only knew that he was a famous poet. However, after all the work and research in this lesson I know a lot more than before. One example is I know that he had a hard childhood, his parents died, he was separated from his siblings, etc. I now know he was also very broke when he was in college. Poe couldn't afford the tuition and didn't finish college. I can go on and on about this, but I'll stop there.

         Edgar had a rough life and he had a lot of problems that people can still have today. An example of this is: Poe was in debt and couldn't continue college because of it. A lot people in college can easily have that problem. Another problem he had was his foster dad wanting to force him into the tobacco business. I know this sounds like it wouldn't be a common problem, however lots of people's parents force them into schools and jobs they don't want to do. For instance someone could be a doctor and not like it because they were forced into it by their parents. Another example would be a kid forced into a very fancy private college and study something they don't want to because their parents are forcing them.

         Edgar Allan Poe did also have some problems that aren't that common in the 21st century. His parents had died when he was very young age because of tuberculosis. Having both your parents die because of the same disease is definitely not a common problem. His parents were also traveling actors and broke. Not a lot of people are traveling actors anymore.

          Poe's life definitely affected his writing. His stories are about death, and suspense, and misery. Poe's life was full of death because of his parents. The fact that his parents died affected his life forever and I feel he puts that into his writing. He was cheated on, he was in debt, he was orphaned, etc. I feel he put all those feeling and emotions in his writing. I think the reason he wanted to write so bad was to let his emotions out.

     

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lilly! I liked the blog about Poe and the reflection p.s. nice background! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent reflection - You did an especially good job juxtaposing the life and times of the 19th & 21st centuries!

    ReplyDelete