Thursday, October 16, 2014

Blog for the Week of 10/13/14


Cut by Patricia McCormick 

Direct and Indirect Characterization



            Patricia McCormick wrote this from Callie's point of view. I think it is 2nd person and 1st person being combined. Callie describes things from her point of view, but when she goes to therapy, she describes things in second person. As if you were the therapist. "You say it's up to me to do the talking. You lean forward, place a box of tissues in front of me, and you black leather chair groans like a living thing." I feel this proves it is also second person. 

            "Her nick-name for me is S.T., for Silent Treatment", this is indirect characterization. I can infer that this means she doesn't talk much. In fact, Callie doesn't talk at all in the beginning. An example of direct characterization is, "Debbie turns red." From this text I obviously knew that she turns red or blushes.

              Another example of characterization is, "I trace a square on the couch, nod yes, once, and watch, stunned as a tear makes a small dark circle on my jeans." This is direct characterization, there is also a little bit of indirect characterization. Callie said she was stunned which is direct characterization. Then she was also crying so you can infer she was sad. 



No comments:

Post a Comment