Monday, May 23, 2016

"The Cherokee River Reservation"


        Going to the poorest place in America really changes you. You feel better for helping. You feel angry because these people aren't getting the justice they deserve. You feel lucky for the things you have. Most of all you feel sympathetic towards these good people. I believe helping people and being happy is all you need to be a good person.

          After a fourteen hour car ride we finally made it, we made it to the Cherokee River Reservation in South Dakota. My point of view changed forever. The town was full of run down businesses and houses, scrap metal, stray dogs, and cluttered backyards. The kids and people however, were some of the most happiest people I ever met. Here I was in a town overcome with poverty, with some of the happiest people on earth. They lived in poorly kept houses, there was litter everywhere, and their family could barely feed them. They were so happy and optimistic. It made me realize that you don't need a perfect home and family to be happy. 

         It surprised me, these people were the first people to live in this country, and the government forced them into a far corner in the country to live there for generations. We were there to show them support and charity. I learned several lessons from this experience, including you just need love to be happy and helping people makes you feel better. This gave me a whole new outlook on life. I realized I shouldn't take advantage of the life I have, but I also don't need things that aren't necessary to be happy. 

          The main things I want you to take from this is helping people makes you happy and a better person, and you don't need material things to be happy. I just people to appreciate what they have and help people who might have less. 


No comments:

Post a Comment